$460m Abuja CCTV Project: Tinubu govt tells SERAP it has no record of local contractors involved

The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has urged Mr. Taiwo Oyedele, Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, to immediately disclose the identities of all local contractors, subcontractors, consultants, vendors, and other entities that benefited from payments under the National Public Security Communication System project in Abuja, commonly known as the $460 million Abuja CCTV Project.

The Federal Ministry of Finance, in response to SERAP’s contempt proceedings, recently stated that “records from the Ministry of Police Affairs indicate that while local subcontractors may have been engaged, there is an absence of detailed subcontracting records identifying specific local companies that received funds directly from the Chinese loan.” The ministry made the disclosure in a letter dated May 15, 2026, signed by the Permanent Secretary, R. O. Omachi.

In response, SERAP, in a letter dated May 23, 2026 and signed by its Deputy Director Kolawole Oluwadare, expressed concern that although the court judgment was delivered in May 2023, the ministry only released partial information after contempt proceedings were initiated and a Notice to Show Cause was served in January 2026.

SERAP said Nigerians still do not know the exact identities of the local contractors involved in the project. According to the group, the absence of such information raises serious concerns about record-keeping, transparency, and accountability, as well as whether the project was implemented in the public interest.

On May 15, 2023, the Federal High Court ordered the Ministry of Finance to disclose the total amount paid under the $460 million Abuja CCTV loan, the identities of both local and Chinese contractors who received funds, the status of the project’s implementation, and details relating to the alleged ₦1.5 billion payment for the Code of Conduct Bureau headquarters project.

SERAP said the information provided so far amounts to only partial compliance with Justice Emeka Nwite’s ruling, noting that key questions remain unanswered and further clarification is required for full compliance.

In its letter, SERAP stated that it expects the requested details to be provided within 48 hours of receipt or publication of its correspondence. It warned that failure to do so would lead to the continuation of contempt proceedings against the Federal Ministry of Finance for non-compliance with the court judgment.

The organization acknowledged that the ministry had provided some information on Chinese loan drawdowns, counterpart funding arrangements, and selected records on equipment deliveries linked to the project.

However, it noted that there is still no explanation regarding the reported 6,035 missing items under the project. It remains unclear whether the items were delivered, whether payment was made, whether the contractor defaulted, whether Nigeria suffered financial losses, or whether any recovery steps were taken.

SERAP further observed that while the ministry listed items reportedly delivered in 2013, it failed to clarify how many cameras were installed, where they were deployed, whether they are currently functional, and whether the project delivered value for money.

The group warned that the failure to disclose such records raises serious public-interest concerns about contract administration, record keeping, and accountability in public expenditure.

It added that for a project financed through public borrowing—debt still being repaid by Nigerians—full transparency over all beneficiaries, both foreign and domestic, is essential. According to SERAP, citizens have a right to know how public funds were spent, who received them, and what was delivered in return.

SERAP also emphasized that compliance with court judgments is fundamental to the rule of law and constitutional governance, stressing that government agencies must not selectively comply with judicial orders or release partial information while withholding key records.

It concluded that full implementation of Justice Emeka Nwite’s judgment is necessary not only to uphold the public’s right to information, but also to strengthen confidence in the judiciary and reinforce accountability within public institutions.

You May Also Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *